The Piedras Blancas Light Station is a historic landmark on California’s central cost. Located on a rugged windswept point of land six miles north of Hearst Castle along California’s scenic Highway One, the Lighthouse was first illuminated in 1875 and today beckons the visitor for respite from the modern world. The Light Station is named for the distinctive white rocks that loom just offshore. These rocks and the rugged shoreline are home to seabirds, sea lions and elephant seals. Over 70 native plant species can be found on the 19 acres surrounding the Light Station. Over the years, earthquakes have caused damage to the lighthouse. An earthquake on the last day of 1948 resulted in the upper part of the lighthouse being declared structurally unsound. In 1949, the upper three levels (fourth landing, watch room and lantern) were removed. The Bureau of Land Management manages the Piedras Blancas Light Station as a historic park and wildlife sanctuary. Access to Piedras Blancas by guided tours only. Tours are offered year-round and feature cultural and natural history, as well as spectacular scenery. Piedras Blancas Light Station tours available: June 15 – August 31 ( Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. ) September 1 – June 14 ( Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for the rest of the year. ) Summary of Fees – Piedras Blancas Light Station. The weather here is very unpredictable so dress in layers. Groups of 10 or more, please call ahead. If you need a wheel chair please call 805-927-7361. Park Email Address: [email protected] Tours meet at 9:45 a.m. at the (former) Piedras Blancas Motel, located 1.5 miles north of the light station. Tours will be met by lighthouse staff, given a brief orientation, and then travel in personal vehicles behind a lead car to the light station. Interagency pass discount is offered to any individual holding a National Parks pass. Additionally, Annual, Volunteer, Senior, Military, and Access passes are all recognized. One discount/cardholder.
- ADA Accessible