Mission San Gabriel Arcángel was founded 8 September 1771 (4th in order) by Blessed Junípero Serra. The mission is named for Archangel Gabriel.
The original site for the mission carried the Indian name Sibagna, or Tobiscagna. Moved from its original site because of disruptions by the military, the new site was so prosperous this mission has the nickname “Queen of the Missions.” The mission was restored to the Church in 1859. The museum contains a collection of early sacred art canvases. The church is active. San Bernardino Asistencia, a sub-mission, was established in Redlands.
From Interstate 10 at a point about 6 miles East of the I5 and I10 intersection, exit at New Avenue. Travel approximately 2 miles North on South New Avenue and South Ramona Street (stay to the right where New turns into Ramona and use caution, these are all residential streets). South Ramona Street crosses Junipero Serra Drive and turns into South Mission Drive. The mission is at 428 S. Mission Drive just across the intersection (California Landmark 158). GPS coordinates for the rectory: 34°5’34″N 118°6’43″W.