Fallon House Home to Sierra Repertory Theatre Company

A stone cutter from Ireland, Owen Fallon arrived in Columbia with his family in 1856. In 1857, he bought a boarding house known as the Maine House and operated it until it burned in the great fire of 1857. Fallon rebuilt but the second building was also destroyed by fire in 1859. Having learned his lesson, the third building was built of brick and opened in 1860 as the Fallon House.

Owen Fallon's son James built a new dance hall and theatre behind the hotel in 1885. The dance floor was supported by iron springs and was known for its "bounce". From 1890 to 1944 ownership changed hands often as did the name. It was known as the Kress Hotel, the Columbia Hotel and Opera House, the Smith Hotel and the Columbia Inn.

Today the Fallon House is home to the Sierra Repertory Theatre Company, which presents 10 main-stage shows per year at two locations – the original East Sonora Theater and the Historic Fallon House Theatre in Columbia State Historic Park. We have a staff of 30, employ 200 artists per year, and hold a contract with Actors Equity Association. Sierra Rep plays to an audience of more than 65,000 people per year, more than half of who travel an hour or more to our performances.

For more information visit Fallon House. 

For more information visit Sierra Repertory Theatre Company.

Stay at nearby RV parks & Campgrounds