A California Delta Resort
Sugar Barge Resort & Marina, located in the heart of the Sacramento/ San Joaquin River Delta, is one of the finest facilities in the area.
The surrounding 1,200 miles of waterways provides boaters, skiers and sailors plenty of room. If you love to fish, the Delta is home to an abundance of black & striped bass, crappie, perch, bullhead, catfish and sturgeon.
You could travel halfway around the world and not find a vacation spot that provides as much enjoyment, beauty and versatility as the California Delta.
Sugar Barge is a destination in and of itself offering a full service marina, with launch & berthing options, and 24/7 fuel dock. A convenience store to stock up on necessities (like ice & beer ). The Sugar Barge Outdoor Bar & Grill is open weekends from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Come out and enjoy the beautiful view of the Delta from the top deck. We have comfortable seating available with umbrellas for shade, a relaxing lounge with wicker couches & chairs, and a covered sports bar area with 3 flat screen televisions.
The RV park has everything you need from full hookups and hot showers to WiFi, laundry, pool, rental trailers and even an 18 hole golf course 1/4 mile away.
A Little History
Our unique name comes from a legendary cargo vessel which was moored on this very spot for many years. The “Sugar Barge” was built in 1925 at Stone’s Shipyard in Alameda. It was christened “South Shore #1″ and made cargo runs between Redwood City and San Francisco hauling general freight.
In 1942, it was purchased by River Lines Co. and continued to carry freight between Vallejo, Oakland and San Francisco. Bay and River Navigation Co. purchased the “South Shore #1″ in 1945 and renamed her “M. V. Mokulii”. In addition to a San Francisco Pier #1 run, she also delivered sugar to railheads in Richmond and Oakland. It was at this point in time that she became know as a sugar barge.
Needing a green pasture to retire to after many tireless years of plying various waterways, the “M. V. Mokulii” was purchased from C&H Sugar by the Joseph Family. At Bethel Island, she was permanently moored and began a new life as a snack bar. In 1969, she was purchased by Paul Keeney, Lenny Gomes, and Harry Norager. She was given a major facelift and became known as the “Sugar Barge Restaurant and Lounge”.
The Sugar Barge had two decks with a bar on the lower level and dining above. Perhaps the most memorable feature was the bilge pump. When the unreliable old pump failed, the vessel would start to take on water. The customers were promptly asked to move upstairs for a few complimentary drinks. Thank goodness she was in relatively shallow water.
The old girl sank twice, putting Lenny and Paul out of business. They were fortunate enough to sell her to Western Waterways who towed her to Holland Tract with the intention of remodeling and reopening her in all her original glory. As is often the case, bureaucratic red tape prevented this dream from becoming reality. With the best of intentions, they kept her afloat for a while, but now, regrettably, she sits at the bottom of the slough … where at high tide she fills up with water and sea life, not patrons.
For the many years she called this location home, local folks referred to this section of Bethel Island as Sugar Barge. With all the memories and stories to tell from the old days, we just had to keep the name … minus the bilge pump, of course! This way she will continue to live in memory.
For more information visit Sugar Barge RV Resort & Marina>